Saturday, July 10, 2010

Happy Birthday Dadu

Today, the 10th of July, 2010 marks the 92nd birth anniversary of my grandfather, Suvo Guha Thakurta.

Every year we host a small celebration at Dakshinee with students and faculty singing songs of Tagore, followed by high-tea/dinner for everyone at the school and then dinner at home with the extended family.
I took my video camera along, but due to the congested crowd at the school, all lay in vain. I tried catching some situations that has remained a constant over the years, and also speaking to people who would help me in my future endeavours with this project :
Ashish dadu, who is someone who has been played a part in my grandfathers legacy,
Raja da, who is the family photographer of sorts.

Film-wise, I thought my footage was ordinary. I need to watch different kinds of cinema to broaden my idea of experimental film. Besides filming the function, I also shot scenes off the streets of Calcutta now, which I think will bring in another layer to the project.

No comments: